Firstly, on this page you will find information about efficient vocal exercises for the voice. Secondly, you will see different techniques of improving your diction and articulation. Furthermore, you will see information on where to find recording studios and rehearsal rooms, producers, where to submit your song and much more. Not only I can guide you as your vocal coach, but you yourself can do a lot in terms of development of your voice and promoting your music.
Table of contents
- What songs would you recommend for singing lessons with kids?
- Where in London can i practice my vocal skills and develop voice myself even further? Recommended by vocal coach
- Where can I find a good recording studio in London?
- Where can I find good rehearsal rooms in London for singing lessons/ vocal coach consultation/ rehearsal of my band?
- How can I improve my articulation and diction skills? Which exercises do you use as a vocal coach?
- Can you recommend good vocal exercises for classical singers. What are those which you use as a vocal coach and a singing teacher?
- TONQUE TWISTERS WHICH WILL IMPROVE YOUR DICTION AND ARTICULATION SKILLS.
- WHERE CAN I BUY A STUDIO RECORDING KIT, MICROPHONES AND MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS?
- IMPORTANT LINKS FOR A SONGWRITER
- ARTIST MANAGEMENT AND PUBLISHERS.
- PERFORMANCE RIGHTS ORGANISATIONS
- US PERFORMANCE ORGANISATIONS
- UK PERFORMANCE RIGHTS ORGANISATIONS
- SONG SUBMISSION RESOURCES
- HOW TO SUBMIT SONGS TO MUSIC BLOGS
- MUSIC CONFERENCES AND SEMINARS
What songs would you recommend for singing lessons with kids?
First of all, I haven’t listed any adult songs or adult themed songs. Secondly, please don’t limit yourself to singing songs even if they have adult words in them – perhaps, change the lyrics of the song so that you can eliminate the inappropriate words. For example, part of the Price Tag song you can change the word Video hoe to Video Girl. Furthermore, there are some ideas below.
- Girls can sing boys songs and boys can sing girls songs just change some lyrics if need be
- Make a fast song slow
- Make a slow song fast
- Change the feel of the song e.g Pop song have an RnB feel or an old song more modern
- Make a solo song a group song or as a duet
- Mash up song songs!
FAST SONGS which I give to my little pupils as a vocal coach
2. Blame It On The Boogie – Jackson Five
7. Walking On Sunshine – KC and the Sunshine band
8. Mamma Knows Best – Jessie J
10. Dancing In The Street – Martha & the Vandella
11. Celebration – Kool & the gang
13. Don’t worry be Happy – Guy Sebastian
16. I gotta feeling – Black eyed peas
17. Stereo Hearts – Gym class heros
18. Counting Stars – One Republic
19. I wanna dance with somebody – Whitney Houston
SLOW SONGS which I use during my singing lessons with kids
23. You Raise Me Up Josh Groban
24. The Prayer – Andrea Bocelli /Celine Dion
25. I Turn To You – Christina Aguilera
26. Time After Time – Cindy Lauper
29. With or without you – U2 (Kina Grannis version)
30. Royals – Lorde (pentatonix version)
32. Stand up for Love – Destiny’s child
34. Borrow My Heart – Taylor Henderson
36. When You Were Mine – Taylor Henderson
37. Dance with my father – Luther Vandross
38. A thousand years – Christina Perri
39. Read all about it – Emeli Sande
40. Because You Loved Me – Celine Dion
MEDIUM SONGS for kids, which are great for their vocal developement
41. This girl is on Fire – Alicia Keys
42. Empire State of Mind (Pt. II) – Alicia Keys
43. Just the Way You Are – Bruno Mars
44. Put Your Records On – Corinne Bailey Rae
48. Love the One Your With- Luther Vandross
53. Put a little love in your heart – Annie Lennox & Al Green
56. Mirrors – Justin Timberlake
57. As long as you love me – Justin Bieber
58. I want you back – Cher Lloyd
60. Got to get you into my life – Earth, Wind and Fire
61. Never be the same – Jessica Mauboy
62. Call me Maybe – Carly Rae Jepsen
63. Pyramid (feat. Iyaz) – Charice
65. Flashdance. . . What A Feeling – Irene Cara
66. You Belong With Me – Taylor Swift
69. Fly Away – Chantelle Barry
71. That’s What Friends Are For – Stevie Wonder
73. Ain’t No Mountain High Enough – Marvin Gaye
74. People Get Ready – Human Nature
75. Earth Song – Michael Jackson
82. Heal the world – Michael Jackson
86. What A Wonderful World – Louis Armstrong
87. Smile – Charlie Chaplin (Glee Version)
89. You are so beautiful – Billy Joel (Judith Hill version)
DISNEY SONGS WHICH WILL MAKE EVERY SINGING LESSON ENJOYABLE
91. Do you want to build a snowman – Frozen
94. Part of Your World – Little Mermaid
95. Journey to the Past – Anastasia
96. Circle of life – Lion King
99. Gift of a friend – Demi Lovato
100. When you believe – Whitney Houston and Mariah Carey
101. A dream is a wish your heart makes – Cinderella
102. Beauty and the beast – Beauty and the beast
103. It’s a small world – Disney
104. Happy – Pharrell Williams
105. Pure Imagination – Glee Cast
106. Pay attention – Sister Act
107. Best years of our lives – Baha men
Where in London can i practice my vocal skills and develop voice myself even further? Recommended by vocal coach
Popular Open Mic Nights In London
More Open Mic Nights
Open Mic Online Directories
Where can I find a good recording studio in London?
Please bear in mind, that after working as a vocal coach and singing teacher with my pupils, I aim to take them to one of the recording studios in London. Moreover, majority of the songs on which we were working together, can be recorded there. Definitely it is something which I highly recommend to do.
Where can I find good rehearsal rooms in London for singing lessons/ vocal coach consultation/ rehearsal of my band?
How can I improve my articulation and diction skills? Which exercises do you use as a vocal coach?
It’s not so difficult as you think. My pupils often ask me to help them them as a vocal coach just to improve their articulation and diction skills. Well you can make that change yourself. Please see below attached tongue twisters. They will help you immensely during your singing lessons. Try to read slowly but give attention to every syllable, consonant and vowel. Experiment with loud and quiet sound. Imagine that the audience is sitting far away from you and project the sound, make it clear.
Collection of international tonque twisters http://www.tongue-twister.net/index.htm
English tongue twisters http://www.tongue-twister.net/en.htm
Can you recommend good vocal exercises for classical singers. What are those which you use as a vocal coach and a singing teacher?
I personally, in the very beginning work with vocal exercises written by Nicola Vaccai, Metodo pratico de canto. As a vocal coach, I am very satisfied with them. They have been written for high, middle and low voice. There are many backing tracks on YouTube with accompaniment which you can use at home. Example of musical accompaniment is here
More complicated vocal exercises:
Theoretical and Practical Vocal Method, Op 31 (Méthode de chant théorique et pratique, Op.31) (Marchesi, Mathilde) https://imslp.org/wiki/Méthode_de_chant_théorique_et_pratique%2C_Op.31_(Marchesi%2C_Mathilde)
TONQUE TWISTERS WHICH WILL IMPROVE YOUR DICTION AND ARTICULATION SKILLS.
Try to explore these tongue twisters. By doing so you do the same training as professional actors, public speakers around the world and boost immensely your articulation and diction. Please give more attention to the way you attack consonants, try to perceive them differently, make them sharper, more clear and perhaps, louder. Train in front of the mirror. Imagine that you are in a bigger space surrounded by audience. I often recommend these exercises to my pupils in my works as a singing teacher and a vocal coach.
CLASSIC TONGUE TWISTERS
Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers.
A peck of pickled peppers Peter Piper picked.
If Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers?
Where’s the peck of pickled peppers Peter Piper picked?
How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?
He would chuck, he would, as much as he could, and chuck as much wood,
as a woodchuck would if a woodchuck could chuck wood.
She sells sea shells by the seashore.
Betty bought a bit of butter.
But the butter Betty bought was bitter.
so Betty bought a better butter,
and it was better than the butter Betty bought before.
[Variation of Carolyn Wells The Butter Betty Bought published 1899.]
DIFFICULT TONGUE TWISTERS
Silly Sally swiftly shooed seven silly sheep.
The seven silly sheep Silly Sally shooed
These sheep shouldn’t sleep in a shack;
Sheep should sleep in a shed.
The sixth sick sheik’s sixth sheep’s sick.
[According to The Guinness Book of World Records this is the toughest tongue twister – so far.]
FUNNY TONGUE TWISTERS
Round the rough and rugged rock the ragged rascal rudely ran.
All I want is a proper cup of coffee,
Made in a proper copper coffee pot
I may be off my dot
But I want a cup of coffee
From a proper coffee pot.
Tin coffee pots and iron coffee pots
They’re no use to me –
If I can’t have a proper cup of coffee
In a proper copper coffee pot
I’ll have a cup of tea.
Amidst the mists and coldest frosts,
With stoutest wrists and loudest boasts,
He thrusts his fists against the posts,
And still insists he sees the ghosts.
Two tiny timid toads trying to trot to Tarrytown.
Nine nimble noblemen nibbling nuts.
Quizzical quiz, kiss me quick.
Imagine an imaginary menagerie manager managing an imaginary menagerie.
What a to do to die today
At a minute or two to two
A thing distinctly hard to say
And harder still to do.
For they’ll beat a tattoo at twenty to two
And the dragon will come when he hears the drum,
At a minute or two to two today
At a minute or two to two.
Eve eating eagerly elegant Easter eggs.
Ingenious iguanas improvising an intricate impromptu on impossibly-impractical instruments.
These thousand tricky tongue twisters trip thrillingly off the tongue.
TONGUE TWISTERS FOR KIDS
A proper copper coffee pot.
One-One was a racehorse.
Two-Two was one, too.
When One-One won one race,
Two-Two won one, too.
Fuzzy Wuzzy was a bear. Fuzzy Wuzzy had no hair. Fuzzy Wuzzy wasn’t fuzzy, was he?
Which wristwatches are Swiss wristwatches?
If a dog chews shoes, whose shoes does he choose?
EASY TONGUE TWISTERS
He threw three free throws.
I slit the sheet, the sheet I slit, and on the slitted sheet I sit.
If you notice this notice, you will notice that this notice is not worth noticing.
Nine nice night nurses nursing nicely.
I like New York, unique New York, I like unique New York.
Four fine fresh fish for you.
A proper cup of coffee from a proper copper coffee pot.
SHORT TONGUE TWISTERS (3X)
Six sticky skeletons.
Which witch is which?
She sees cheese.
Eleven benevolent elephants.
TONGUE TWISTERS ABOUT THINKING & FEELING
Three thin thinkers thinking thick thoughtful thoughts.
Of all the felt I ever felt,
I never felt a piece of felt
which felt as fine as that felt felt,
when first I felt that felt hat’s felt.
I wish to wish the wish you wish to wish,
but if you wish the wish the witch wishes,
I won’t wish the wish you wish to wish.
I thought, I thought of thinking of thanking you.
I thought a thought.
But the thought I thought wasn’t the thought I thought I thought.
If the thought I thought I thought had been the thought I thought, I wouldn’t have thought so much.
WHERE CAN I BUY A STUDIO RECORDING KIT, MICROPHONES AND MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS?
Gear4music Limited was launched in 2003, and has become one of the largest retailers of musical instruments and equipment in Europe, with distribution centres in the UK, Sweden and Germany. They supply musical instruments and equipment manufactured by many of the industry’s best known brands, at very competitive prices. We also produce a range of fantastic value, high quality own-brand music products. They work with 897 manufacturers. Below you can see some of the benefits which they provide.
- They give a clear indication of when to expect delivery
- Book your own specific delivery date, and choose your delivery service
- you receive email and text message updates regarding your order
- A 2 year warranty as standard
- 30 day money back guarantee on everything
- Choose to buy an extended warranty and up to 180 day money-back guarantee
- Expect to get a high standard of customer service by email or telephone
Microphone sets are hand-picked bundles for music and podcasting. They provide you with all the essentials to get started or improve your current setup. Affordable packages are available from SubZero and leading brands such as Aston, Shure and Rode. All microphone sets come complete with our two-year warranty for peace of mind.
IMPORTANT LINKS FOR A SONGWRITER
Every unsigned aspiring artist should check out Ari’s website. Moreover, Los Angeles based Ari Herstand’s blog is one of the most informative and credible resources in the world for helping singers break into the music business. Furthermore, It covers every aspect of becoming a professional artist and answers every question on how to earn money from your music.
Ascap have a list of credible songwriting competitions.
First of all, the benefit is that Song splits decide the percentage of royalties paid to songwriters from each song. Second of all, Songsplits.com is a free cloudbased platform for creating secure digital collaboration songwriting split agreements. Check it out.
ARTIST MANAGEMENT AND PUBLISHERS.
As a vocal coach I am often asked question about producers, please check information below.
firstaccessentertainment Sarah Stennet
PERFORMANCE RIGHTS ORGANISATIONS
Performance Rights Organisations (PRO’s) collect, license and distribute performance royalties for songwriters. This includes music broadcast on the radio (terrestrial or satellite), TV, movies or commercials. As well as music performed or streamed live in any public venue or streamed through digital services like Spotify.
US PERFORMANCE ORGANISATIONS
ASCAP (American Society of Composers, Authors, and Publishers),
BMI (Broadcast Music, Inc.)
UK PERFORMANCE RIGHTS ORGANISATIONS
The PRS is the main PRO for collecting and administering performance and mechanical rights in the UK.
PPL is the organisation responsible for providing licences to businesses and organisations for performing or playing music in the UK.
SONG SUBMISSION RESOURCES
Working as a vocal coach and singing teacher I am asked quite often the question about how and where to submit the song. Please check below. It is not such a difficult process as you thought.
HOW TO SUBMIT SONGS TO MUSIC BLOGS
MUSIC CONFERENCES AND SEMINARS